Paul Kingsnorth
I followed up by reading Kingsnorth's article The Witness in Tricycle: The Buddhist Review. He describes how taking a geological perspective helped reduce the despair he felt at the obvious inability of activists and politicians to stop or even to slow the "accelerating destruction." And he describes how his early introduction to Buddhism at a retreat helped as well. "All created things perish, said Gautama Buddha. Whatever is subject to origination is subject to cessation. This, it turns out, is true of an individual, a species, an ecosystem, or a planetary epoch."
A phrase I particularly recall from that article: "...false hope is worse than no hope...". Do I believe that? In some situations?
Kingsnorth married and moved to a remote section of Britain, has two children, leads writing workshops, has made some YouTube videos, tries to live sustainably and gently on his plot of land. His preference for "no hope" over "false hope" continues, I believe. He tries to provide a place where people with some level of despair over climate change and general environmental degradation can come together and share and examine their own thoughts and feelings.
Obviously, other people with years of activism under their belts don't all despair. But I did notice that Bill McKibben, in his latest book Falter, says that it seems more likely than not to him now that we will experience total disaster, that the "human game has played out," but that he remains engaged. Other activists, it's hard to see how much they are keeping up a brave face not to let down the troops.
Comments
Post a Comment